Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Somewhat Meta- Post

Back at the beginning of the month I started posting links to this blog on Google Plus, then promptly got the Upper Respiratory Thing, turned into a space cadet, and forgot to keep linking to G+. Sorry about that, Gentle Readers. Now that you're (presumably) here, you can play catch-up if you'd like. I'll try to do better in the future.

Which brings me to the more meta part of this post. There's a business owner who has a blog that I subscribe to in my Google Reader feed. Her identity isn't really relevant to the discussion, so I'm going to leave it out. She commented recently that she wants to try to re-build her blog following. I considered posting to give her a clue why I think she might have lost followers, which is the reason why I occasionally debate dropping her blog: follow-through. I decided not to, because I couldn't think of any way to say it nicely and she seems smart enough to figure it out on her own.

The blogger has a tendency to start a series of posts about going through the steps of A Project, or on a topic like running your own business, gets a couple-few posts in, and then . . . nothing. The series just disappears into oblivion.

I understand Un-Finished Objects, I have plenty of UFOs of my own lurking about the house, and I do start to natter about them, mostly on my personal blog, and then they drop off the radar when I don't continue with the project. OTOH, I don't announce that I'm going to start A Shiny New Series, showing you how to do Cool Thing, which is what the blogger I'm picking on does, and then drop it. I hope.

I think what I do is more like the Yarn Harlot, where I natter about The Thing of The Day (TToTD), and when TToTD changes what I'm nattering about changes with it. So you might get a half-dozen posts about This Thing while I work on it, and then I move onto Next Thing when it catches my attention, and/or I finish the first thing. (Eeep! too many things in this paragraph!)

Anyhow, I think what it boils down to is that if I've done the first thing here - Grand Announcement of Series that Fizzles, I apologize. Please smack me about what I've done it with/to, and I'll try to update, if nothing else to say that it's still in a holding pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment