Tuesday, March 2, 2010

New Website Branch - Under Construction

I think I've finally figured out what I want to do when I grow up. Is there a problem with the fact that it took me until age 43 to do so? Hope not.

Anyway, my current day-job is not it. I want to Design Things. I'm not, I'm reviewing other engineers' work. I suppose I could try to break out of my rut and jump over to the design side of Civil Engineering, buuuuut . . . I'm so not up on Structural issues. I wouldn't know a Finite Element if it walked up and bit me on the backside. I haven't cracked open a design code book since I graduated. Yadda yadda yadda.

So, helloooo typography. Hello publications design. I like you. You're fun. I like putting words and stuff on a page and making them look good. And maybe someday Otter Necessities Design Services will actually generate some money.

Except that the page looks like carp. I can do page-layout for print, why is website design so hard? It's still just words, I don't get it . . .

2 comments:

  1. Layout for print and layout for the web are actually two different beasts, for some odd reason. I can make a webpage look good, but I can't do layouts for a printed page to save my soul...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly - they *seem* similar enough that the skills for one should transfer right on over, but they don't. Ron suggested that web design fights me because of the fluidity. He's probably not far wrong.

    ReplyDelete